Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Early Monday Morning in Chacala

I am really enjoying early mornings in Chacala this week. With no more Daylight Savings time, it's light around 6am, or even before. And the sun is up before 6:30pm, at least at my place.

I like to get up and roam around Chacala first thing in the morning. Especially Monday mornings. Monday is kind of a day off for some of the tourist business and restaurants in Chacala. After a busy weekend full of tourists from the inland cities of Mexico, everyone starts the day slow. Many places are closed up, that is, their tarps stay down all day.It's nice and quiet first thing in the morning. Parking lots are empty. Deliveries seem to start later on Mondays. I don't know why that is.The beach is beautiful. And usually empty.
Jose Manuel, who picks up trash 4 or 5 days a week all over town starts before 8am.And the fruit and vegetable guys gets to the center of town about 7:30am.When I lived on the beach a few winters ago, he arrived at my landlady, Esparanza's, my just as it was getting light. We got first dibs on the fresh stuff. That was great. Now I just get lucky sometimes, and run into him on the street. Today I got a cantaloupe, 3 plums, 4 tomatoes, and a 1/2 a kilo of red grapes. 25 pesos. about 2.20US. I don't know if that's a good price or not, but everything tasted good.
Koko Bongo's Restaurant, pool hall, internet station, and grocery store, looked all fresh and bright, but not yet open for business. The beach road looked empty, no delivery trucks or tourist buses.
I walked up to Mirador, a favorite rental in Chacala, to do an errand.The view from Mirador's guest and family palapa is one of my favorites in Chacala. And I stopped to admire these Ixora blooms on the way home.

No comments: