Thursday, March 29, 2007

Semana Santa is Coming, This Weekend

Chacala is looking a lot different this past couple of weeks. There are only two motor homes in the palm grove this morning, and both have been here for more than three months. But they are on their way out, I guess.There are fewer and fewer Non-Mexican tourists here now, but I still see plenty of pale faces around town. Or sunburned ones. Majahua very busy right now, and Mirador almost full. It looks like Mar de Jade has a group of guests. And there visitors sprinkled around town. The third Habitat for Humanity group is here for a four or five more days.
There are usually about 8 yachts, sail boats anchored off the Chacala beach. This morning I watched four pull out, heading north. I always watch for them to put up their sails as they leave, but mostly they motor away.There is a lot of remodeling and rebuilding going on along cuesto row, on the beach road. Thee are five little markets in town now: Juanita’s, Koko Bongo’s, Juan’s, Franky's and Angeles’s two tiendas, and now Jorge’s. Jorge’s used to have only a phone service and sold beer, refrescos, and snacks. But they are adding groceries now, a least for Semana Santa.The stores are all jam-packed with supplies right now. More delivieries every day. A few days ago Koko Bongos had a wall 15 foot long, built with cases of beer. They are all put away somewhere now, but it looked pretty cool.Of course, during Semana there will be many little temporary stores, opened by camping family’s, every fifty feet or so. All over the place. You never have to walk more than a few steps to buy toilet paper and water and whatever.

Last Semana Santa I was camping on the beach. It was sometimes a little overwhelming, but basically it was fun to see all the big families and little kids.I rarely heard fighting or screaming or crying children. It’s much different than camping in the U.S.. Much nicer. People seem to get along with each other better somehow.Yesterday I was walking along the beach, right about where the tide was coming in. I suddenly had a pretty severe pain on the bottom of the foot. It really hurt. I walked back to see what I had stepped on, and couldn’t find anything. My footprints were very clear, but I didn’t have a stick. And was afraid to dig with my fingers, thinking maybe somehow a sting ray was buried in the sand.It seem unlikely, because I wasn’t actually walking in the water. But right above, within inches, of where the tidal water coming up on the beach. The tide was going out, but maybe there was a sting ray buried an inch or so under the sand. I never heard of such a thing before, but how knows?

I have only seen one sting ray in Chacala, in three and a half-years (almost), and it was in the sand out where the water was about 6 feet deep. So how knows. It really hurt for about five minutes. But I started walking in the water, and that seemed to help. Within maybe 30 minutes I couldn’t even tell I had been stung with whatever it was.

No comments: