Sunday, March 11, 2007

More Media in Chacala

There is a new face in Chacala, at least for the past couple of days. Yesterday I noticed a guy riding around Chacala in back of the plastic/trash collection truck. He was piled in with all the kids, and it looked like he was shooting with a video camera.And then I saw him again at Concha's Techos de Mexico unit, talking to Concha. But I didn't realize it was the same person. And then mid-day today I went next-door to Aurora's to take some new photos of her new furniture in her rental units. She asked me to come over after she did a big cleaning for the Habitat for Humanity workers, who are arriving later today. She wanted the photos for the Techos de Mexico website.It turned out Aurora was being interviewed by the same guy, on video. I stayed down at her bodega and took some photos. She looked great, and I imagine the video will turn out well. Later Aurora was giving him directions to Gracias, another Techos de Mexico rental unit, so I hopped in and directed him to Gracias. I was going over to take photos of Gracia's units, but it turned out she had guests, so I took some photos of Villa Celeste instead.

It turned out he, the camera guy, is from Mexico, but has been living in Los Angeles for 11 years, making videos. One was a series on Mexican's living in Los Angeles, I think. He said it is being shown on some Sky cable channels in Chacala on Monday nights. I think the video series is connected with PBS stations somehow, but I'm not sure if I got that right.

Anyway. I'll be curious to see what comes of it. Jose Enrique said he, the photographer,/producer, will send a tape/CD, whatever later. That would be interesting.

Of course, there's always the question of the impact of media attention on Chacala. But if anything in Chacala is going to get media exposure, I am glad it's the Techos rentals. I'd like as much of the tourist dollar to come to local Chacala as possible. Just my opinion, of course. Part of my motivation is selfish. It's that I almost always enjoy visiting with the kind of people who choose to rent Techos units. They seem to be more likely to be interested in learning about the local culture and people. And just being interesting people who are fun to hang out with. Pf course, alot of people who are drawn to Chacala are like that.
Everyone in town is getting ready for Semana Santa. It's less than three weeks away, and people count on the income from thousands of visitors. It's really an adventure to be here then. This is Berto and his brother-in-law, Huitchol (sp?) rebuilding Aurora's little cuesto. Where Huitchol is going to be selling beer and ice. Or so I hear.People always ask me about this house. They can see it clearly when they are out in the coean, swimming or whatever. But from the shore it's hard to see it, or figure out where it is. If you go straight up the cobblestone road from Juan's Tienda toward the paved road. And then cross the paved road and head uphill, you'll run right into it. It's a gringo-owned house, and it only seems to be occupied two or three weeks a year. I can always tell when it's occupied because when the occupants sit on their terrace I can clearly hear every word they say. And I'd rather not. It's a fluke of how sound carries, I guess, because it's probably about 500 feet uphill from me.

No comments: