Saturday, March 10, 2007

Iguana in Chacala

I woke up this morning, and it was a lovely sunny Chacala day. I got an uncontrollable urge to go to the other nursery in La Penita to check out the new plants.

So I got dressed, showered, ate, and tidied up, and took off for the beach road. I could hear the collectivo horn tooting as it made it’s way down from the upper part of town. So I hurried and caught up with the van as it came to Juan’s tienda.Halfway into town I realized I didn’t have my house key. I have been trying to remember to get an extra key made ever since I got back from Tonala. Right before I left I hid my extra key somewhere and I can’t find it. And I have been really afraid I would lock myself out.

And last night I did. Lock myself out. Luckily, I had stashed a little tool outside. It's a pry bar tha pries a window open enough to unlatch it and get in. But that scared me enough be nervous when I couldn’t remember where my key was.I was afraid I had locked myself out again. Plus, without my key I couldn’t get a duplicate made. So I ran over to the Kodak place to drop some photo-CD's off, and went back to Chacala on the same collectivo. (It turned out my key was in its regular place, and I went back later with a friend to pickup the photos and get two spare keys made).When I walking up the hill on the dirt road next to Koko Bongo's, on my way home, I saw something out of the corner of my eye, on the rocks by the side of the road. It was an iguana, about two feet long.

He was hiding from me, and I got a few shots of him. There are alot of iguanas around Chacala, but they mostly are hiding. Local people tell me that not so long ago there were lots and lots of iguanas around Chacala, and that some of them were pretty big. They ate them, I guess.

No comments: