Monday, August 27, 2007

Santo Domingo in Oaxaca City

My Oaxaca "home", Hostel Pochon, is about five blocks walk to the Santo Domingo complex. It's a wonderful patio planted in Agaves, a regional museum complex in an old monestary/convent, a wonderful Ethno-botancial Garden, and and huge, beautiful church, and Diocesian offices.It's really beautiful. There are vendors around, and restaurants, and lots of college age Mexican kids hanging about. And European and other tourists. I really enjoyed the area. You can walk about six blocks down a pedestrian street to the Zocala. Some of my favorite musuems and shops where right in this area.IMy photos of the inside of the iglesia didn't come out very well. You aren't supposed to use a flash, and I feel funny about taking photos inside a church. Although I do it anyway. Sometimes.I have been working on this post at the home of my friend, Carmen. She has a career in D.F., where, among other things, she is the representative of a very famous Mexican photographer. His name is Manuel Ramos, 1874-1945. He photographedmany of the crucial events of Mexican history, and his photos of those times are everywhere in Mexico. Carmen was just showing me some of his photos, while we were visiting and I was waiting for my photos to download onto this post.Manuel Ramos's black/white photos make me feel sort of dumb for being proud of some of my photos. His pictures are soooo beautiful. And meaningful. The light is just amazing. I am partly inspired and partly feeling like I should never put my photos on this blog, because they are so inferior. but I probably will anyway. This photo is the basck of the Museo, formerly the monastery, with a small part of the botanical garden in the foreground
I never got a chance to take photos of this area in the sunlight. I think sunlit photos would really make a difference so seeing how beautiful it is here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your photos are beautiful. Thank you for taking the time and effort to share them. You have convinced me to visit Oaxaca.

Anonymous said...

Your photos are one reason I love your blog. I think your pictures capture the real Chacala