Thursday, November 29, 2007

Mexican Textiles Website, not in Chacala

Note: I am sort of embarrassed to post these photos of textiles made commercially for the tourist market . When this post is about handmade, traditional textiles. But it's all I have right now. And they do look colorful, if not authentic.

Last month someone told me about the most amazing website for people who interested in textiles. This website has photos, trip reports, and other written materials about textiles created by persons from indigenous groups all over Mexico. I think most of the photos are of textiles that are being made and used right now. Mostly in the remote villages of where small groups of people continue their lives in their traditional manner.In February, the creator of this wonderful site, Robert Freund, will be in mountains of northern Nayarit, doing more research. I think with the Cora Indians, but maybe he will be working with the Huichols. I don't know. I am hoping to met him, since Chacala is in Nayarit, and he may be coming here briefly to met some some folks who will be visiting here. Here is the link for the website.

Mexican Textiles http://www.mexicantextiles.comI love learning about, or meeting people, who have devoted their lives to doing something they really love. People who just go out and do the work. Not for fame or credit or money, but from their hearts.I think there are people everywhere who have found their work, their special interest early in life. And just jump in and pursue their quest for knowledge and understanding. And sometimes chance they have a chacne share what they know about their often very specialized knowledge. And this seems to be the case with Robert Freund. A woman named Catherine Palmer Finerty, is another example of someone who found a niche for themselves, where they immersed themselves in their quest for understanding and knowledge. She wrote a book I have read several times. "In a Village, Far from Home" is her story of living in a mountain village in the state of Nayarit. What she learned and what she did there. And she started her adventure with the Cora Indians after she reached retirement age. Anyway, I am really excited about this website about textiles. And I hope there are other people out there who are interested in textiles of Mexico too.I don't have any photos related to this topic, but I am going to the tianguis today, and maybe I will find some things to photograph. No textiles like on the Mexican Textiles website, but the best I can do right now.

No comments: