Friday, May 11, 2007

Tovaro: Visiting a Mangrove Swamp and Crocodiles

All these photos are from the boat ride at Tovaro, near San Blas.
The sky is blue in Chacala today. It’s nice and warm, and it’s not humid at all. The ocean water temparature is perfect, not cold at all, and also not bathwater temparature like it can be in August and September.I had a Coke with some visitors the other evening. At Las Brisas, the restaurant on the beach that kind of caters to gringos. I was amazed to see four tables full of visitors. Usually by mid-May it’s very unusual to see gringos here. There are still some, but not tables full. It might be partly because of the L.A. Times acticle, which has since been published all over the country.There are some nice people staying in Alonzo’s nice little white casita up behind this house. I can’t see it from my house because of the vegetation, but it’s within shouting distance. These folks have a rental car, and we are heading north to San Blas, and the boat ride at Tovaro, and wherever, this morning.I had only been part ways up the coast north of Chacala, via Las Varas and Zaculpan. And never all the way to San Blas and the Tovaro mangrove swamp boat ride (about two hours). I am really looking forward to the trip.Later the same day. We left about 9am, headed out to for San Blas, etc, and got back at 4pm. It was a great trip. The boat ride was really fun. We got a boat to ouselves, with Javier at the driver. We saw many different birds, crocodiles, turtles, some ruins from a movie set and lots of beautiful foliage. We visited a crocodile farm. We had lunch at a lovely little restuarant. It overlooks the nicest swimming area I have ever seen. I think. There was a platform with a swing for swinging into the water, about 10 feet. And a diving platform for climibng in and out. There was a chain link fence to keep the crocodiles out, but still.....
I couldn't reach the swing, so I just jumped off the swing's platform, and did a cannon ball into the water. And got out really fast.

Even though the water was crystal clear, I was still thinking about crocodiles chomping my leg off with one mighty bite. The ride was about $10US a person for a small group, and a nice little 3 quesdilla lunch with sides and a refresco was $4.50US. I think the tour of the crocodile farm was $4 for the three of us.

3 comments:

1st Mate said...

I took the same San Blas boat trip in 1965 and it looked so much the same. I didn't see any crocs,or I'd never have gone for a swim! Wonderful croc shots...loved how you had that line about lunch right under that croc with his mouth wide open.

christine said...

I too took that boat ride first in 1994 and then again last summer. I just loved it, but you are much braver than me! No one could convince me to swim there being so close to all the crocs!

Brenda Maas said...

Happy Mothers Day.