Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Maps and Short Trips Away from Chacala

A few days ago I made a very satisfying investment in my future travel plans. I bought a map of the states of Jalisco (Guadalajara and P.V.) and Nayarit (Chacala, etc). Even the Colima area, to the south) was included. It was printed about 3 years ago, and isn’t very up-to-date, but it’s good enough.
These are just random Chacala photos. This is the view from Berta's yard.

When I have specific questions about somewhere I want to go, or how to get there, I use the internet to get help. There’s a great message board “J.R. in P.V. " (http://vallartascene.com), where there are people who can answer most questions about the roads and buses in this area. And Lonely Planet’s “Thorntree” (http://lonelyplanet.thorntree.com) has people who know about every part of Mexico. It’s amazing. You can ask Thorntree –Mexico anything and get some greatanswers. Or you can search the old posts for lots of info about whatever it is you are wondering about.

I think I am going to put the map up on the wall for awhile. I am wearing it out folding and unfolding it to check out different things. I love it that there are so many little towns in Mexico, with very long histories, going back into the 1500’s.

There is a wonderful monthly magazine, sold everywhere in Mexico. It’s called “Descondido Mexico”, and it has lots of ideas for trips. With good enough photos, to get an idea of what things look like. It’s in Spanish, but you can figure things out without being able to read much Spanish. Here a few of the waiters at Chico's Restaurant.
They get younger every day.And, of course, I get older
Three times in the past week I have been invited by local friends to go on somewhere with them. I haven’t gone yet, but I have been invited. Two of the trips are to the family ranchos of people I know here. In the mountains around Las Varas. I can’t wait.

And I am kind of nervous that I will feel stuck somewhere were I am not comfortable, without food I like to eat. I guess I will just take my chances. Because I really want to see where peoples families live. And what the countryside is like off the main roads.And then I am going on a bus trip (4 hours, maybe) to Mexicalitan. Mexico’s version of Venice. In that during the rainy season, the lagoon where the town is located floods, and the town becomes an island, with flooded streets, and so on.

Last year someone I know went to Mexicalitan, and brought me a yellow tee-shirt with a big photo of the flooded town on the back of the shirt. It was the first I have heard of it, and I can’t wait to go. I will probably spend the night there, and come back the next day.We are going by bus, and my friend will visit her family there. The bus to that area is sort of a 3rd class bus, and I haven’t been able to figure out when the bus goes, and how to catch a ride. Going with someone else who knows the way will be nice. Usually I just go to whatever bus terminal I am at and ask for help, but the 3rd class buses don’t seem to have terminals around here. At least I haven’t found one.

1 comment:

christine said...

Can't wait to hear about your trip and your impression of Mexicalitan. I've always wanted to go check it out but always run short on time