Saturday, May 26, 2007

Sleeping in at Chacala

This is another Saturday morning in Chacala. We seem to be having a decrease in the number of huge semi’s rolling thru Chacala, delivering loads of soil, cobblestones, cement and sand to the local gated “development”. It’s hard to call it a development, since it’s actually the destruction of a beautiful natural environment.

I guess it’s a you say "development", I say "destruction” kind of situation.

Anyway, for the first morning in weeks I slept in, until almost 8am. As opposed to being awaked before 6am with the sounds of giant trucks grinding their way thru town. It’s a nice break, but I don’t think it’s permanent. There’s money to be made here, and people are coming from all over, like San Diego and Guadalajara to make it. The first clue I had that there were fewer trucks was that I didn't have to wipe a 1/4" of dust off the top of the fridge. I have gotten to used to the endless noise I didn't even notice there is less of it.

Anyway, all complaining aside. I ate breakfast leaning on the wall of my little patio/kitchen, and watched the birds coming in and out of the downstairs doorway. There is are a couple of big nests tucked up in the ceiling area of the entrance alcove. And lots of big and little birds fly in and out. Especially at dawn and dusk.The trash-collecting kids walked down the road, wearing their new orange tee shirts. I am guessing the tee-shirts are something to do with the Saturday morning trash/plastico patrol that’s been going all for a year or so.The neighbor’s new rental construction is really moving fast. I think this in day 4. All the work is being done by hand, except for the trucks delivering the cement, sand and block. And the workers. I think Chacala might be headed for an excess of rental stock. At least for awhile.
We are having lots of rentals and rental inquiries right now. Which is very unusual for May. I attribute this new interest in May, July, and October rentals mostly to the LA Times articles about Chacala, which was syndicated all over the country. And partly to repeated suggestions, here and on other internet sites, that May and November are good times to be in Chacala. Good weather, and very few gringo tourists. A good time to learn some Spanish, when there are few gringos to talk to.

No comments: