Tuesday, January 02, 2007

In Chacala on New Year's Eve

I went to a wonderful fiesta at Chico’s last night. For my fourth New Year’s Eve in Chacala. There were alot of people there, almost all family. At one point I counted heads, and got 74 people. But people were coming and going all night. The kids and teens were tearing around, so who knows how many people were there.Chico, founder of Chico's Restaurant
Except for me and another gringa, everyone at the party was a family member, an in-law, a step-child, or something, of Chico and Narcissa. Ther are the parents of Aurora. One of their sons, Marcos, who lives in San Diego, comes down to Chacala with his family about twice a year, New Year’s and Easter, I think. It’s nice to see a family spending time together. And the older kids hanging together with their family.One of the musican's who frequently plays at Chico's
In this case, the word “family” might be kind of a stretch. Like Chico’s step brother’s daughter’s sister-in-law’s child’s boyfriend’s little boy. I really like it though. I didn’t take my camera down to the party. I was thinking the flash would be disruptive. And, of course, half a dozen people asked me why I wasn’t taking photos. I was just too pooped to walk home and get it, but I wish I had.

These photos are of Chico's during a regular day.After the restaurant closed early on New Year's Eve, and before the fiesta, we took the turquoise tablecloths off the tables, and the waiters stacked the chairs. Then us woman arranged about 20 tables to make a table big enough for about 50 people.
Covered with red table cloths.The men sat around one end of the big table, and around the grill. The women mostly hung around the family table. That’s what I call the table next to the kitchen. Where the waiters and Narcissa, or her son Fernando, who is now running the restaurant sit when the restaurant is open. And where family members and friends and whoever sit to talk and visit. The kids had a campfire on the beach and were setting off fireworks. So were about 20 other family groups on the beach. Pretty noisy.The long table was half covered with bottle of Tequilla and other alcohol. And beer, and big plastic bottles of pop for mixers. And tons of snacks keep arriving on the table. Dried (?) shrimp, and cookies and one thing after another.

I was really tired, and mostly just visited with whoever sat next to me. I made it until about 10:30pm, when the serious meat eating started: pollo and carne, grilled on the restaurant’s wood-burning grill. The chicken was first, and the big flattened-out chickens, grilled to perfections (really!!) were brought into the kitchen, and people came in and cut off whatever they wanted. It was so good. And there were lots of other sides: beans, tortillas and sauces and whatever. Really really good.That’s when I left, after two servings of breast meat. Full and happy. And sad to miss the dancing (if there was any) and the nicest round of “Happy New Year’s” hugs I have every experiences. Everyone is standing together at midnights, and, with everyone hugging and some kissing. Very, very nice. But I was too tired last night.Walked home, up the beach road. Got some more invitations as I was walking along, but just stopped for a few minutes. I love being invited places. this year I was invited to a bunch of parties: a gringo dinner, Dona Lupe’s, Lupita and Guillermos’, and Majahua, I said I love being invited, which is true. But I don’t generally like going to parties. But parties at Chico’s and Majahua are different and I love being included.The hotel owned by the cement company guy from Palm Spring, is a couple of vacant lots north of my place. Of course, they had a loud party , with music until 4am. But it was so much quieter than previous parties that I could hardly complain. However, to block the noise enough to go to sleep, I used my earplugs, closed all the windows, and run the fan.

Some really nice people left yesterday. Kathy and Larry are heading south towards Cental America, via bus. And Susana and Jim are spending a night in Puerto Vallarta, on the way home to Kansas. We had dinner at Tres Mars, currently my favorite place to eat, especially after dark. Actually they are the only place that is consistently open after dark. I will miss them. Jim left me a great book “No On is Illegal” by Chacon and Davis. I think the title is self-explanatory.
Michel, the French-speaking Santa Claus, is reading it next.

No comments: