Saturday, July 08, 2006

Mixed-up Day in Chacala

Waldo swinging at the birthday pinata
Well, I woke up still feeling kind of out-of-sorts and crabby about yesterday. After worrying for awhile about how to get to Las Varas in for 6:30am bus to Guadalajara, I talked to my neighbor, Jesus, about something else, and then starting thinking maybe he wouldgive me a ride in this afternoon, and I could spend the night in Tonala/Guadalajara and go to the famous Sunday tianguis (street markets) in the am and still get to Morelia at a reasonable time of day.

Jesus said yes, he would pick be up between one and two so I could catch the 2:30pm bus. i offered him $10USD. He drives back and forth Las Varas all day long, for whatever reason. Anyway, I packed up and tidied up and showered and found three cheap convenient places on the internet, where I could stay in Tonala. Then I waited, and waited and, at 2:45, Jesus was still a no-show. I walked over to Juan's and asked for a ride. It ended up his brother, Arturo, showed up in about four minutes later to give me a ride.

We were in plenty of time for the Guadalajara express, which comes on the every half-hour(2:30, 3:30 etc) but it turned out something was going wrong and there was no bus at 2:30, 3:30, or 4:30, and the 5:00 bus from another company that was supposed to stop in Las Varas didn't stop either. So I caught a ride back to Chacala. I didn't want to arrive at the bus station in Guadalajara at 10pm. There are 3.5million people in that city, and I have never been there before, and I don't want to arrive way after dark.

So, here I am again, trying to figure out how to get into Las Varas before 6.30am on Sunday morning.

Interestingly enough, while I was waiting for Jesus to pick me up, my brother made his annual telephone to warn me that if I left on my trip before mid morning tomorrow I would have lots of delays. How weird. He reads this Blog and was concerned by this trip stuff.

No comments: