Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Thankful for My Home and Life

I just realized tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day. Not that I have been much of a celebrator since I left the farm. In those days we had a pretty big dinner, with lots people and music into thenight.Good old/bad old days. I don't know if there's anything going on for Thanksgiving among gringos this year. I am trying to stay out of the social loop, which actually isn't very difficult. I have seen about a dozen strange faces around town, so there are probably more who I hven't seen.

As I am writing I realized I could actually have my own little dinner. I have a nice big double breast piece of chicken, and potatoes to mash, with butter con sal, and celery, and cabbage, and olives. And stuff for fruit salad. It also sounds like I would enjoy cooking tomorrow. I might.

I really like my new home. It feels much different than it did two winters ago. For lots of reasons, I think. For one thing, I am loving the nice clean, white walls. Another is that I feel much more competent to take care of water problems, and the problems seem to be more manageable too. And the wild-child young adult downstairs seems to have grown-up and is now a good neighbor. And my things laid out just like I like them.I have some mats up on the sides of the patio that get the morning sun and an unnecessary view of a neighboring home. They are blocking the view and keeping the sun off the fridge. Two biggies for me. Still haven't figured out how to block the late afternoon sun, which is very very strong.I am full of appreciation the last few days for all the neat things my son has brought down to Mexico when he visits. He brings a big black rolling suitcase with two or two plastic storage boxes filled with good stuff. Then he leaves the suitcase too. Which are great for storing stuff. Everything he brings is great. Like all these different plates and bowls. Excellent cooking knives, and the best plastic dishwashing tool I have ever seen. And it's also stuff I end up needing. He is alot like his Dad, being a great gift giver. Very observant and creative. Almost all these photos are things he has brought down. And Benydral, which is not available in Mexico, ecen as a generic. And all kinds of stuff. I love it. He is such a great son, and person. The mats are tied up with nylon cord he brought. And the cord was cut with knives he brought. The cord comes with great little velcro straps, which I am using to make a shade for the fridge.I like having a table for my computer, etc stuff. Hopefully I will be able to afford a phone/internet hook up sometime soon. Right now I am begging and borrowing my internet connections from other places. Luckily there are starting to be some DSL connections in town that I can borrow.

I keep forgeting to mention a high-light of my last trip to P.V. Both the Las Varas and Puerto Vallarta Pacifico Bus Terminals now have a few toilets with real toilet seats. At least on the women's side. I don't know about the men's side. Great improvement. Toilet paper can still be a problem.

3 comments:

La Gringa said...

It looks really homey and nice and colorful. I hope you enjoy Thanksgiving.

Unknown said...

HAPPY THANKGIVING! I wish I was there! (I wrote you a couple months ago about visiting the area a few years ago, then we 'talked' about Colima.

Unknown said...

HAPPY THANKGIVING! I wish I was there! (I wrote you a couple months ago about visiting the area a few years ago, then we 'talked' about Colima.