Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Chacala and the Whales

This morning at dawn there were whales frolicking right inside of Chacala Bay. Tail banging and leaping in the air and everything. There are lots a whales around now, especially out a few miles. Very impressive.

The weather is still cool at night, about 65 and lovely during the day, mid 80's and clear.

There are Habitat volunteers here now, for three weeks total, working on a house in Las Varas. A really nice group. I think only a few are here for the whole three weeks.

Two different couples, Angela and Gil, and Vicki and Herbert, brought gifts for the Kinder in the last couple of weeks. Any school and crafts materials or picture books in Spanish are really nice for the kids. Money too. The Omaha/Shawnee Rotary groups (I think) are building a new classroom and the parents are talking about collecting money for the furnishings.

The Cafe at Casa Pacifica is really the hot spot for American/Canadian style breakfasts, 8-10am closed Sundays. Good place to meet people and arrange various excursions

I am the only camper in my "campground" now, and I love it. It's so nice sitting there looking at the water, etc. The only downside is that the palm trees surrounding my palapa are dropping their coconuts right thru the roof of the palapa. I have moved the table and chair.

The landlady, Esperanza, keeps saying in the afternoon or tomorrow when I ask about cutting the coconuts down. I am looking for a hardhat but there don't seem to be any around here. There are some hard headed people however, mostly in motor homes.

I'm wearing shorts and a cotton shirt and flip flops, for those of you in the snow and rain.

alatawah@gmail.com

No comments: